Along with autumn comes beautiful, warm colours, as well as flavourful fruits and spices – fit for creating fall cocktails that taste as good as the feeling of wearing a sweater on a crisp autumn day. Azure Restaurant & Bar, inside the InterContinental Toronto Centre has brewed three cocktails inspired by the many comforting tastes of the season. Each cocktail is inspired by autumn ingredients including fruits such as pomegranates and pears, and spices like ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
The autumn cocktails, Pear Smash ($18.00), Pom & Port Martini ($18.00) and Blood Orange Sparkler ($15.00) are available starting October 6, 2017 at Azure Restaurant & Bar. Recipes and directions follows below to recreate from the comfort of your own home. Cheers!
POM & PORT MARTINI
· 1 oz. Taylor Fladgate Port
· 1½ oz. Absolute Mandarin Vodka
· 1½ oz. Pomegranate Juice
· ½ oz. Simple Syrup
· 1 bar spoon of Lemon Juice
Add Taylor Fladgate Port, Absolute Mandarin Vodka, Pomegranate Juice, Simple Syrup and Lemon Juice in a cocktail shaker. Shake over ice and strain into a Martini Glass. Garnish with Pomegranate seeds and lemon wheel.
· 2 oz. Dillons Pear Eau Vie
· 1 can of pear
· 1 oz. of lemon juice
· 1 oz. Ginger/Thyme infusion
· First prepare the Ginger/Thyme infusion.
o4 half-an-inch-thick ginger slices
o5 roasted cardamom pods
o2 thyme sprigs
o8 oz. of sugar
o8 oz. of water
· Directions: Bring water and sugar to a boil, add spices, simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool down. Keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
· Muddle ingredients and shake. Pour over ice cubes into a rock glass. Garnish with a slice of pear and thyme sprig.
BLOOD ORANGE SPARKLER,
· 2 oz. Tanqueray Gin
· 1 oz. Cinnamon, Clove and Nutmeg Syrup
· 1 oz. Lemon Juice
· 2 oz. Blood Orange puree
· 2 oz. Sparking water
First prepare the Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Clove Syrup.
o 1 four-inch-long cinnamon stick broken in small pieces
o 1 bar spoon of nutmeg
o 5 cloves
o 8 oz. sugar
o 8 oz. of water
· Directions: Bring water and sugar to a boil. Then add in cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool down. Keep up to 2 weeks in the fridge. In a cocktail shaker, add all ingredients. Shake and strain. Pour over ice in a high ball glass. Garnish with lemon/orange slices and star aniseed.