5. Eat natural teeth helpers. Some foods can actually help you keep your teeth white. Here are a few of them:
- Eat more apples, celery, and carrots. They’re like a fruit and veggie toothbrush for the teeth and they help increase the production of saliva in your mouth, removing plaque. As an added bonus, their high levels of vitamin C help to kill off odor-causing bacteria and strengthen your gums.
- Eat more strawberries. They contain a natural astringent (malic acid), which helps to lift stains. To get the most benefits, consider rubbing half a strawberry over your teeth or mashing the strawberry and applying it to your teeth. Leave for one minute, then rinse clear.
- Rinse with a glass of half lemon juice and half warm water once a week. This will lighten your teeth. Don’t do it more than once a week though, as the lemon juice can erode teeth too.
- Eat more hard cheese. It helps to increase saliva production in the mouth, thereby removing the bacteria that stains teeth and it is also a good source of helpful minerals, such as calcium and zinc.